What’s more riveting than watching the NHL Playoffs right now (#GoHabsGo)? #IronViz 2021!
For those new to the hashtag, IronViz is THE premiere data visualization competition. This is the big leagues. People from all over the world submit an original viz that speaks to a topic chosen by competition runner, Tableau.
This year’s topic: Data + Joy: Viz What You Love
Boy, don’t we all need some of that right now?
There are a lot of amazing entries this year, and I’m pretty sure I’ve picked out who’s going to win. 100% confidence over here. Don’t even wait for the end of the qualifier submission window, which closes July 2, 2021. Ok, well, maybe wait, it won’t hurt.
Anyway, here are my Top 5 Picks, in no particular order.
Pick #1: Fleetville Swing Band – 10 Years and 100 Gigs, by Ant Pulley
Standout features include:
- A Wavy Timeline
- Massive joy-inducing content: who doesn’t love Swing Music? The joyless, that’s who.
Pick #2: 1 Year Of Netflix Joy In Solitude (Or Not?), by Thi Ho
Watch out for this one, because it’s got:
- My mother/brother/secret lover for the past 18 months of lockdown, Netflix, as a topic
- An interactive radial chart right off the top! Way to start strong!
- A very intimate look at when an how much a person can watch Netflix. Spoiler: it’s a lot.
Pick #3: Data + Joy Shihtzus, by Priyanka Biswas
Easily a crowd-pleaser because:
- Pictures of Shihtzus. I mean, that’s an automatic win, if I’ve ever seen it
- Breed history and fun facts! I love it when I learn something new from a viz, and this is doing it!
- Vertical layout! If you’ve got vertical mode on your monitor, here’s something you can use it on!
Pick #4: Has the Gaming Trend changed in Japan, by Louis Yu
I love video games. I literally gasped when I saw Louis’s viz. I’m rooting for you!
What sets this viz apart:
- Beautiful 8-bit aesthetic – so retro and nostalgic
- Interactive buttons!
Pick #5: Childhood Hero, by CJ Mayes
Folks, find someone who looks at you like CJ Mayes looks at Roger Federer. If someone made a viz like this of me, I’d marry them so fast. Winning attributes:
- Using Tableau’s Story function. Be still, my heart
- Tennis ball isotypes? Amazing!
- CJ’s personal tribute at the end.
Overall, this is such a touching tribute! I hope you at least get a like from Mr. Federer, CJ. He owes you at least that!
So that’s my Top 5 entries into IronViz 2021. There’s still time to enter, Qualifiers are open till July 2. Check out Tableau’s IronViz page for details. If you do, who knows, you might end up in my Top 5 as a result. Truly this is the bigger prize.
OK folks, who’s in your IronViz pool? Reply here, or tweet at me (@PearleLundeen) with your Top 5!
Who’s Viz will reign supreme?!